Thursday 17 November 2011

Virgin Casting

Went around to Andrew's place today and met him for the first time.  Good bloke!
He has built a little furnace but apparently hasn't had had a lot of experience casting so. I haven't done any in over a decade so we thought we would take a crack.  So I rammed up the green sand  in  two part mould and Andrew fired up the furnace. Half way through I realised I hadn't left space for my sprue & heat sinks in the best place but made do.   Know how to do it right next time.

Sprue should run into the top of the head and the sink below the jaw. The sink also could be a riser (second sprue).  This should fix the fault.  If you look closely you will see the difference between the cast item and the pattern.  You can't???? ok I'm a perfectionist so I'll point it out. The jaw has sunk in as the centre cooled it pulled in.  Oh yeah now you can see it!……

Hope to be havin another go at it in a few days along with some other pieces…….

Donations of scrap brass & aluminium for melting graciously accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment