Sunday 10 April 2011

Rising of the Old Lady

Put in a call to a guy from the gym I did some photography for.  I haven't seen him in a while, so it was a bit out of the blue. He works at his Father's Engineering firm and I thought I would feel him out to see if they had any scrap I could salvage and use for parts.  He is going to see what he can collect over the week for me………..Let's hope he remembers.

This leads me to the little old neglected Myford lathe I have had sitting in the corner of the garage for about 10yrs. Picked it up at an auction, I went to buy a computer at.

It reminded me of my Grandfather who was a tool maker. He had a huge polished silver lathe in the garage and I used to love watching him make things on it. Still have a thing for swarf!  He died when I was 8yrs old so I never got to learn from him, which is a great disappointment.  I still keep some of his tools in pride of place on my bench, some I don't even know what they are. They are important to me none the less.

So the lathe needs a new belt for the drive (aka fan belt) and a drip feed oiler. Then it will also need some attention to the wiring.  Another little project so I can attempt to make some parts for my big project….
Hope there are no hidden little disaster lurking as I have never started her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment